Capri The Grotta Azzurra
Capri's most famous sea cave, the Grotta Azzurra, is known throughout the world for the intense azure blue of its waters. There are two ways of reaching the Grotta Azzurra: by sea, aboard one of the small boats which regularly depart from Marina Grande, or overland, via Anacapri, by taxi or bus.
Those traveling as a family or with friends will find the cost of traveling by taxi to the Grotta Azzurra (by far the quickest and most comfortable overland option) only a little more expensive than the price of the bus tickets for the whole group.
Visitors who decide to travel by public transport can board buses to Anacapri (the island's second town) in Marina Grande (the direct Marina Grande-Anacapri bus runs to coincide with a number of the ferry arrivals), or in the center of Capri (the main bus station is situated close to the funicular railway station and the Piazzetta). Once in Anacapri, they should get off at the stop near the "Cimiterio" (cemetery), from where buses to the Grotta Azzurra and the Faro (lighthouse) at Punta Carena depart. During the summer season, buses run approximately every 20 minutes.
On their way to the Grotta Azzurra, passengers can ask to get off near what remains of the Ancient Roman Villa Damecuta, and visit the ruins of one of Emperor Tiberius' magnificent island residences. After a brief tour of the archaeological site, tourists headed to the Grotta Azzurra can either catch another bus or continue by foot (circa 30mins walk). At the start of the little road to Damecuta there is a picturesque shortcut (somewhat precarious) which shortens the walk considerably.
To take a close look at the blockhouse visible from Villa Damecuta (the Fortino di Orrico), visitors will need to head to the Piazzetta di Orrico, situated along the road to the Grotta Azzurra, and from here descend the steps which lead all the way to the sea (a ten minute walk). The path which leads to the fort is, essentially, a continuation of the shortcut from Damecuta already mentioned.
From the block house, once part of the island's coastal defenses, visitors can either retrace their steps and return to the main carriageway or continue in the direction of the "Sentiero dei Fortini" path, and head either towards the right (and the sea), to reach the Grotta Azzurra or to the left to take the Sentiero dei Fortini pathway all the way to the Punta Carena Lighthouse (3 hour walk).
In the parking area close to the Grotta Azzurra (the main bus stop for buses to and from Anacapri), there is a flight of steps which lead to the mouth of the cave. Here, visitors will need to pay the entrance ticket, which includes the boat ride into the cave.
To enter the Grotta Azzurra visitors, climb aboard small rowing boats, which can carry a maximum of three people, lying on their backs, through the narrow opening and into the cave. The visit inside the Grotta lasts 5 to 10 minutes and tourists often have to wait for quite some time before entering. No matter how short the visit and how long the queue, the sight of the shimmering blue waters inside the cave is well worth every moment.
Close to the Grotta Azzurra, the little inlet of Gradola provides the perfect spot for a dip in the deep blue sea. Refreshment is available at a number of seafront eateries, including the highly acclaimed Il Riccio and the Nettuno bathing establishment.
Visitors deciding to return to Capri by bus will need to take two buses, the first to the center of Anacapri and the second to Capri (or the port of Marina Grande). Close to the Grotta Azzurra there is a taxi stand, for those who would like to travel back to town in one of the island's stylish open top cabs.
- Monte Solaro: high drama
- The Phoenician Steps
- The Grotta Azzurra
- The Villas of Tiberius
- From Torre della Guardia to Faro
Sites of interest
- The finest "gastronomical museum" on the island
- La Capannina
- Traditional delicacies of the land and sea await guests dining at the De...
- Terrazza Tiberio
- Terrazza Tiberio will seduce even the most discerning of gourmets with...
- Al Grottino
- Since 1937, Capri's "Al Grottino" restaurant, located in an ancient...
- Buca di Bacco
- A charming little restaurant situated in the heart of the old town
- Bar-Restaurant with breathtaking views over the Bay of Naples.
- D'Amore: prepared with passion, cooked to perfection
- Da Giorgio
- Renowned restaurant with traditional cuisine.
- Donna Rachele
- Capri's Donna Rachele is the perfect venue in which to conclude a memorable...
- Bar, restaurant and pizzeria in the center of Capri.
- Le Arcate
- In the center of Anacapri, the restaurant Le Arcate prepares dishes which...
- Pulalli Wine Bar
- Open air wine bar near the clocktower of the famous "Piazzetta"
- Villa Verde
- Tantalize your tastebuds at Villa Verde!
- Bar Columbus, a typical Capri style bar and restaurant, is located in the...
- Pizzeria Aumm Aumm
- Pizzeria open till the early hours of the morning
Excursions by sea
- Absolute Yacht Charters
- Unforgettable cruises around Capri and the Mediterranean, aboard your very...
- Cocktail - Wines
- In the centre of Anacapri
- L'Oasi Ceramiche
- Hand made ceramics
- Limoncello di Capri
- The famous lemon liqueur
- Gioielleria Pierino
- Jewellers since 1965.
- Spa Tiberio
- Spa Tiberio is the new wellness center of the prestigious Capri Tiberio...
- Fondazione Capri
- Fondazione Capri: sustaining and nurturing the island's greatest passions...
5 Star Hotels
- Caesar Augustus
- The Caesar Augustus, is an elegant hotel, located on a cliff 1000 feet...
- Capri Tiberio Palace
- Capri Tiberio Palace: elegant design combined with the intimate atmosphere...
- La Scalinatella
- La Scalinatella is a charming Italian boutique hotel where to enjoy world...
- Villa Paradiso
- Part luxury island home, part art museum: Villa Paradiso, Capri
Small Boutique Hotels
- Casa Morgano
- Casa Morgano is a gorgeous boutique property overlooking the sea and the...
- La Minerva
- La Minerva is an elegant 4 star hotel in the historic center of Capri.
- Orsa Maggiore
- An idyllic island retreat, Anacapri's Hotel Orsa Maggiore occupies a beautifully...
3 Star Hotels
- Al Mulino
- Surrounded by a wonderful garden, in the countryside of Anacapri, Hotel...
- Capri Wine Hotel
- Capri Wine Hotel: how to transform an old winery into a beautiful boutique...
- Small, welcoming and with a spectacular view of the town of Capri and the...
- La Prora
- Located in the old medieval center of Capri, a mere 100 meters away from...
- Villa Ceselle
- Surrounded by beautiful scented gardens, Villa Ceselle is a typical island...
1 Star Hotels
- Stella Maris
- A centrally located, welcoming, and conveniently-priced hotel in Capri,...
Bed & Breakfast
- Cavalluccio Marino
- B&B Cavalluccio Marino offers heartfelt hospitality in a typical island...
- Il Merlo
- Experience the pleasure of living on the island of Capri, courtesy of Anacapri's...
- La Giuliva
- La Giuliva is a charming, sea view B&B in the heart of Anacapri, on...
- Casa Ceselle
- Simple, elegant, just like your dream home on the island of Capri should...
- San Nicola
- Simple, comfortable and affordable, San Nicola is a welcoming guest house...
- Villa Palomba
- Your home-away-from-home within steps of the Piazzetta: authentic island...