The lancia is a slightly more modern version of the classic wooden gozzo, and has an outboard motor so is a bit easier to handle than a gozzo. These boats can be rented with or without a skipper for a boat trip in complete privacy.
You can rent a small lancia without skipper in Marina Piccola, the bay on the southern coast of Capri. This is the perfect spot to set sail for those who have decided to navigate their boat by themselves, as this is the most beautiful stretch of coastline on the island, right in front of the Faraglioni and just meters from the Green Grotto. You can avoid the heavy marine traffic near the Marina Grande port and marina, where there are shipping lanes for ferries that can be dangerous to cross for those who do not have much experience at sea.
A small lancia can carry up to 5 passengers and rentals include:
- Sun awning
- Ice chest
- Map of the island
You can bring food and beverages on board to organize a Caprese picnic by sea.
Information about renting a traditional wooden boat on Capri
- Can I rent a lancia without a skipper even if I don't have a boating license?
- Yes, for the smaller models you do not need a boating license. However, if you have never navigated a boat before, we suggest renting a boat with a skipper. The sea around Capri is often crowded with boats and can be choppy.
- How much does it cost to rent a lancia without a skipper?
- Rental prices for two hours without a skipper begin at EUR 70.
- I have never been to Capri, so how can I find the best places to drop anchor?
- When you rent your boat, you are given a printed map of the island with the best places to drop anchor marked. It's easy to sail along the coast!
- How long does it take to sail around the island on this type of boat?
- About two hours.
- Can I visit the Blue Grotto?
- Yes, of course. In front of the grotto entrance, there are buoys where you can moor your boat and wait for your turn to enter. A rowboat will come and pick you up to take you inside the grotto. Tickets cost EUR 13/person.