Guide to renting a boat on Capri
What's the first thing you should do during your visit to Italy's island of Capri? Rent a boat to explore the spectacular coastline and grottoes by sea!
Taking a boat trip around the island is one of the most unforgettable experiences you can have on Capri. Here are the different types of boats available for rentals and charters on Capri, with or without a skipper. Under each category of boat, you'll find tours and special offers you can book online.
Choose the perfect boat for your sail around Capri:
The traditional wooden boat used for centuries by islanders on Capri
- Capri's traditional wooden boat
- Perfect for a couple
- Ideal for a sail around the island
Small traditonal wooden boats you can rent without a skipper
- No need for a skipper
- Rentals from Marina Piccola
- Privacy and comfort
The easiest boat to navigate yourself along the coast of Capri
- Easy to navigate
- For a fun day at sea
- Holds 6-7 passengers
Travelling with a group? You can easily fit on these larger boats...
- For groups of up to 12 passengers
- Covered baggage storage
- Fun at sea with style and comfort
Transfers and excursions to explore the entire coast and bay
- Private transfers to and from Capri
- Cruises along the Amalfi Coast
- The perfect solution for day trips
All the luxury of a high end yacht to explore Capri in style
- Endless luxury
- Concierge service on board
- Pamper yourself by sea
Renting or Chartering a Boat on Capri: More Information
- Do I need a boating license to rent a boat on Capri?
- There are certain categories of boats, including a dingy or small lancia, which can be rented without a boating license. However, if you have never navigated a boat before, it's best to opt for a rental with skipper.
- Are there less expensive alternatives than renting a private boat for a tour?
- Yes, you can take an organized group boat tour. Tickets cost less than EUR 20 per person, the tour takes about 2 hours, and there is a stop to visit the Blue Grotto (you must purchase your ticket separately). The companies which offer these group tours are Laser and Motoscafisti.
- Visiting the Blue Grotto
- During your boat tour, you can arrange to stop at the Blue Grotto. Unfortunately, the grotto is not always open as the cave mouth is only a meter above sea level, so the sea must be calm to allow visitors to pass through safely. You will have to transfer to one of the small rowboats which transport passengers inside the cave from your rental boat, and lie back to pass through. Tickets to the Grotto cost EUR 13 and in high season there is often a long wait to enter.
- If you have rented a boat without a skipper, you can anchor your boat to one of the buoys outside the cave entrance and wait for a rowboat to come and pick you up.
- Visiting the Blue Grotto
- Can I rent a boat to transfer between Capri and Positano or Amalfi?
- Of course! There are a number of boat rental companies which offer tours of Capri or the Amalfi Coast with departures from the island and arrivals on the mainland, or viceversa. A large gozzo or speedboat is always used for these tour-transfers.
- Renting a Boat in Positano or on the Amalfi Coast
- Where do I rent a boat?
- Almost all the boat rental companies on Capri are located in Marina Grande near the port and marina. There is just one company located in Marina Piccola on the southern coast of the island.
Excursions by sea
Capri by luxury yacht : a dream sail
The Amalfi Coast by sea: past and present, history and legend
The pristine coastline of Capri, exactly as it was during the Roman Empire.
Pleasure on the waves
Explore the most beautiful coastline on the island of Capri aboard a traditional wooden boat
Want to be skipper for a day?
Fun in the sun on a boat tour off Capri
Limitless luxury and liberty at sea
Explore the Capri coast aboard a luxury motoboat
Like a VIP in Capri: choose the best, choose Capri On Board
Discover the sea surrounding Capri
Tour the sea of Capri above and below the surface
A tailor-made boat tour
When the sea becomes a family passion
Choose the best!
The most beautiful view of Capri? From the sea ... with Ciro Boats
Join Gianni on his "gozzo" to explore the best of Capri by sea!
Relaxation at sea with gourmet flair!
The historic company for the tour of the island
Sail around the Island of Capri in your own dinghy!
All the fun you can have at sea with perfect peace of mind