Capri Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
Panoramic gardens and an incredible feat of engineering.
- From Capri's Piazzetta: walk along Via Vittorio Emanuele, Via Federico Serena, and, finally, Via Matteotti.
A stroll through the Piazzetta and then down to the Augustus Gardens is the classic itinerary for those who just have a few short hours on Capri and want to enjoy a quick taste of the island.
The route to reach the Augustus Gardens takes you directly through the center of the town of Capri, along a series of scenic lanes with a sweeping view from the Marina Piccola Bay at Via Krupp to the Faraglioni rock formations.
Entry to the Augustus Gardens costs €1 from the beginning of April to the beginning of November. The best times to visit are early morning and late afternoon, when the gardens are less crowded with daytrippers.
The Augustus Gardens are in a historic property adjacent to the Charterhouse of San Giocomo, purchased by the German industrialist Friedrich Alfred Krupp at the beginning of the 1900s to build his residence on Capri. After the First World War, the property was renamed ''The Augustus Gardens", which has remained until today, and holds the most important island flora found on Capri.
The nearby Via Krupp was also the work of Friedrich Alfred Krupp. The German steel magnate was an avid marine biologist and loved to visit Capri with his yacht, which he would moor in the Marina Piccola Bay. To reach his private boat easily from his suite at the Grand Hotel Quisisana, he commissioned this breathtakingly scenic route which clings to the cliffside as it switchbacks steeply down to the water beneath the Augustus Gardens.
Via Krupp is currently closed due to the danger of falling rocks. It can be viewed from above from the scenic overlook in the Augustus Gardens.
Sites of interest
- Marina Piccola
- Marina Grande
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Villa Jovis
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
- Tour of the island
- Grotta Azzurra
- Mount Solaro
- Villa San Michele
- Towers and Forts
- Punta Carena
- Villa Damecuta
- Beyond the Island of Capri
- Within steps of the Piazzetta, at the end of Capri's glamorous Via Camerelle,...
- Donna Rachele
- Capri's Donna Rachele is the perfect venue in which to conclude a memorable...
- Il Geranio
- A diamond set in the Gardens of Augustus of Capri.
- Fondazione Capri
- Fondazione Capri: sustaining and nurturing the island's greatest passions...
- Friends of the Certosa
- International association of charitable organisations
5 Star Hotels
- La Scalinatella
- La Scalinatella is a charming Italian boutique hotel where to enjoy world...
Small Boutique Hotels
- Casa Morgano
- Casa Morgano is a gorgeous boutique property overlooking the sea and the...
- Hotel Flora
- Warm and courteous Mediterranean style hospitality awaits each and every...
- La Minerva
- La Minerva is an elegant 4 star hotel in the historic center of Capri.
4 Star Hotels
- La Residenza
- Hotel La Residenza is situated in the center of Capri, with panoramic views...
3 Star Hotels
- Small, welcoming and with a spectacular view of the town of Capri and the...
Bed & Breakfast
- Parco Augusto
- Small and welcoming island home: Parco Augusto!
- Villa Silia
- From the terraces of Villa Silia, a luxury villa just a two minute walk...