Capri Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
Panoramic gardens and an incredible feat of engineering.
The Gardens of Augustus, only few minutes' walk from the Piazzetta, are near the Via Krupp, the famously panoramic pathway commissioned by the German steel industrialist Friedrich Alfred Krupp, who purchased the "Fondo Certosa" (Certosa Estate), which includes a portion of the Gardens.
This pathway -currently closed due to a danger of falling rocks - was built in 1902 based on plans drawn up by Emilio Mayer. It begins here and zig-zags its way down the cliff to Marina Piccola. According to architect R. Pane, it is proof that "even a road can be a work of art".
The Certosa of San Giacomo (Carthusian Monastery) is only few steps from the Gardens. It was founded in 1371 by Count Giacomo Arcucci, secretary to Queen Giovanna I of Naples, and is one of the most important examples of the traditional architecture of Capri.
The charming and panoramic Via Tragara leads to a Belvedere of the same name and to the Faraglioni rocks lower down.
From Piazza Umberto I, walk along Via Vittorio Emanuele, Via F. Serena and Via Matteotti (15 mins.)
On your way back to Via Matteotti, the Carthusian Monastery is an easy stop. Afterwards, follow Via Ignazio Cerio, Via Camerelle and Via Tragara.
Sites of interest
- Marina Piccola
- Marina Grande
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Villa Jovis
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
- Tour of the island
- Grotta Azzurra
- Mount Solaro
- Villa San Michele
- Towers and Forts
- Punta Carena
- Villa Damecuta
- Beyond the Island of Capri
- Within steps of the Piazzetta, at the end of Capri's glamorous Via Camerelle,...
- Donna Rachele
- Capri's Donna Rachele is the perfect venue in which to conclude a memorable...
- Il Geranio
- A diamond set in the Gardens of Augustus of Capri.
- Fondazione Capri
- Fondazione Capri: sustaining and nurturing the island's greatest passions...
- Friends of the Certosa
- International association of charitable organisations
5 Star Hotels
- La Scalinatella
- La Scalinatella is a charming Italian boutique hotel where to enjoy world...
Small Boutique Hotels
- Casa Morgano
- Casa Morgano is a gorgeous boutique property overlooking the sea and the...
- Hotel Flora
- Warm and courteous Mediterranean style hospitality awaits each and every...
- La Minerva
- La Minerva is an elegant 4 star hotel in the historic center of Capri.
4 Star Hotels
- La Residenza
- Hotel La Residenza is situated in the center of Capri, with panoramic views...
3 Star Hotels
- Small, welcoming and with a spectacular view of the town of Capri and the...
Bed & Breakfast
- Parco Augusto
- Small and welcoming island home: Parco Augusto!
- Villa Silia
- From the terraces of Villa Silia, a luxury villa just a two minute walk...