Capri Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
Panoramic gardens and an incredible feat of engineering.
The Gardens of Augustus are only few minutes' walk from the Piazzetta, near the Via Krupp, the road which was the idea of Friedrich Alfred Krupp, the German steel industrialist, who - for this end- purchased the "Fondo Certosa" (Certosa Estate), on a part of which rise the Gardens.
The road -today still closed to the public- was built in 1902 on a project by Emilio Mayer. It starts here and characteristically zig-zags its way to Marina Piccola. According to architect R. Pane, it proves "that even a road can be a work of art".
The Certosa of San Giacomo (Carthusian Monastery) is only few steps from the Gardens. It was founded in 1371 by Count Giacomo Arcucci, secretary to the Queen Giovanna I of Naples. The monumental building marks an incomparable moment in the traditional architecture of Capri.
The charming and panoramic Via Tragara leads to a Belvedere bearing the same name and to the Faraglioni rocks lower down.
How to arrive:
From Piazza Umberto I, walk along Via Vittorio Emanuele, Via F. Serena and Via Matteotti (15 mins.)
On your way back to Via Matteotti, the Carthusian Monastery may be easily reached. Then, follow Via Ignazio Cerio, Via Camerelle and Via Tragara.
Sites of interest
- Marina Piccola
- Marina Grande
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Villa Jovis
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
- Tour of the island
- Grotta Azzurra
- Mount Solaro
- Villa San Michele
- Towers and Forts
- Punta Carena
- Villa Damecuta
- Beyond the Island of Capri
- Within steps of the Piazzetta, at the end of Capri's glamorous Via Camerelle,...
- Donna Rachele
- Capri's Donna Rachele is the perfect venue in which to conclude a memorable...
- Il Geranio
- A diamond set in the Gardens of Augustus of Capri.
- Capri Kronos by Mario Ruocco
- Watches, jewelry and fashion accessories: the latest trends, from Capri...
- Capri Time
- Capri Time watches: from the Piazzetta to your wrist
- Fondazione Capri
- Fondazione Capri: sustaining and nurturing the island's greatest passions...
- Friends of the Certosa
- International association of charitable organisations
5 Star Hotels
- La Scalinatella
- La Scalinatella is a charming Italian boutique hotel where to enjoy world...
Small Boutique Hotels
- Casa Morgano
- Casa Morgano is a gorgeous boutique property overlooking the sea and the...
- Hotel Flora
- Warm and courteous Mediterranean style hospitality awaits each and every...
- La Minerva
- La Minerva is an elegant 4 star hotel in the historic center of Capri....
4 Star Hotels
- La Residenza
- Hotel La Residenza is situated in the center of Capri, with panoramic views...
3 Star Hotels
- Small, welcoming and with a spectacular view of the town of Capri and the...
Bed & Breakfast
- Parco Augusto
- Small and welcoming island home: Parco Augusto!
- Villa Silia
- From the terraces of Villa Silia, a luxury villa just a two minute walk...