Capri Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
The 14th century masterpiece in the heart of Capri.
Visiting The Charterhouse of San Giacomo
- Getting there: from the Piazzetta, walk down Via Vittorio Emanuele II, Via Serena, and then turn left onto Via Matteotti.
- Ticket price: €4.00
- Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m./ 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.; closed Mondays
- There are often special exhibitions, either free or requiring a separate ticket purchase.
La Charterhouse of San Giacomo is one of the oldest structures on Capri, built in 1371 by Count Giacomo Arcucci of Capri, Secretary to Jeanne I of Anjou, and originally a convent.
A stop at the Charterhouse is a perfect chance to cool off in the shade, taking a break from the sun-drenched lanes of in the center Capri.
The original convent is composed of three buildings: an annex housing the pharmacy and women's chapel, open to the public; a building dedicated to the lay brothers with storerooms, stables, and workshops; and the cloisters, including the Greater Cloister lined by individual cells, and the Lesser Cloister, with a number of rooms dedicated to those sworn to the monastic life.
During the 1500s, the Charterhouse suffered extensive damage during a number of pirate assaults, which were a danger at the time. Restoration work lasted until 1636, when the invading French commandeered the complex to be used as a barracks, hospital, and, until 1898, a military prison for anarchists and soldiers. In 1927, an extensive restoration was begun under the Superintendent Gino Chierici, who brought the Charterhouse back to its former splendor as a 12th century convent. Today, part of the building is used as Capri's Classics high school.
The former refectory hall holds canvases by Karl Wilhelm Diefenbach, a German painter belonging to the European Symbolism Movement, who lived on Capri until his death in 1913. In the Prior's apartments, there are often temporary photography and contemporary art exhibitions, while the outdoor spaces host important events, including concerts and live shows.
Sites of interest
- Marina Piccola
- Marina Grande
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Villa Jovis
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
- Tour of the island
- Grotta Azzurra
- Mount Solaro
- Villa San Michele
- Towers and Forts
- Punta Carena
- Villa Damecuta
- Beyond the Island of Capri
- Within steps of the Piazzetta, at the end of Capri's glamorous Via Camerelle,...
- Donna Rachele
- Capri's Donna Rachele is the perfect venue in which to conclude a memorable...
- Il Geranio
- A diamond set in the Gardens of Augustus of Capri.
- Bespoke Capri
- Bespoke Capri is an agency which organizes exclusive tours and provides...
- Capri Official Guides
- Who better than an islander to show you the secrets of Capri?
- Capri Time Tours
- Capri Time Tours offers original and exclusive cultural itineraries to...
- Kaire Arte Capri
- Visit, live and love the island of Capri
- Nesea Cultural Events
- Discover Capri's history and culture with the Nesea Cultural Association
5 Star Hotels
- La Scalinatella
- La Scalinatella is a luxurious boutique hotel offering world class hospitality...
Small Boutique Hotels
- Hotel Flora
- Warm and courteous Mediterranean hospitality in the heart of Capri at Hotel...
- La Minerva
- La Minerva is an elegant 4 star hotel in the historic center of Capri.
4 Star Hotels
- La Residenza
- Hotel La Residenza is situated in the center of Capri, with panoramic views...
3 Star Hotels
- La Prora
- Located in the old medieval center of Capri, a mere 100 meters away from...
Bed & Breakfast
- Parco Augusto
- Small and welcoming island home: Parco Augusto!