It may be small, but it's the most fashionable square in the world!
Piazza Umberto I, better known as the Piazzetta, is a surprisingly small little square enclosed within ancient edifices and dominated by the profile of the island's Monte Solaro. In the past, the Piazzetta was home to a lively fish and fruit market - that was until 1938 when the young islander, Raffaele Vuotto, opened a bar here and arranged a few small tables and chairs outside, where customers could relax over a cup of coffee or glass of wine. A number of his fellow citizens soon followed suit, and from that moment on, the Piazzetta became the heart of Capri's social life, so much so that, in no time at all, the square earned itself the label of "salotto del mondo" (the world's sitting room).
Today, locals and holidaymakers vie for seats outside the Piazzetta's historic bars, to partake in a leisurely breakfast, a lunch time snack, or an aperitif after a day on the beach and, of course, to indulge in a little people-watching. In addition to its elegant pavement cafés and jewelry shops, the Piazzetta is home to Capri's municipal offices, located in the former bishop's residence.
The panoramic terrace in front of the island's funicular railway, which connects the center of Capri with Marina Grande, is located just around the corner form the square, on the other side of the Torre del Orologio. The main terminal for buses running between Capri and Anacapri, Marina Piccola and Marina Grande is situated just a few meters away from the Piazzetta.
From the Piazzetta, an impressive flight of steps leads up to the 17th century Church of Santo Stefano, once Capri's cathedral and principal house of worship, and the Centro Caprense Ingnazio Cerio, housed within the 13th century Palazzo Arcucci.
The most emblematic work of architecture in the Piazzetta is, without doubt, the 17th century Torre del Orologio, believed to be the old bell tower of the cathedral, which sports a splendid clock, decorated in majolica. On display in the courtyard of the Municipal offices there are fragments of an old marble column and pedestal, discovered in the 1920's during the construction of the port, and which scholars have attributed to the Ancient Roman villa of Palazzo a Mare.
Sites of interest
- Marina Piccola
- Marina Grande
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Villa Jovis
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
- Tour of the island
- Grotta Azzurra
- Mount Solaro
- Villa San Michele
- Towers and Forts
- Punta Carena
- Villa Damecuta
- Beyond the Island of Capri
- The finest "gastronomical museum" on the island
- La Capannina
- Traditional delicacies of the land and sea await guests dining at the De...
- Terrazza Tiberio
- Terrazza Tiberio will seduce even the most discerning of gourmets with...
- Al Grottino
- Since 1937, Capri's "Al Grottino" restaurant, located in an ancient...
- Buca di Bacco
- A charming little restaurant situated in the heart of the old town
- Bar-Restaurant with breathtaking views over the Bay of Naples.
- D'Amore: prepared with passion, cooked to perfection
- Da Giorgio
- Renowned restaurant with traditional cuisine.
- Donna Rachele
- Capri's Donna Rachele is the perfect venue in which to conclude a memorable...
- Bar, restaurant and pizzeria in the center of Capri.
- Pulalli Wine Bar
- Open air wine bar near the clocktower of the famous "Piazzetta"
- Villa Verde
- Tantalize your tastebuds at Villa Verde!
- Spa Tiberio
- Spa Tiberio is the new wellness center of the prestigious Capri Tiberio...
- Fondazione Capri
- Fondazione Capri: sustaining and nurturing the island's greatest passions...
5 Star Hotels
- Capri Tiberio Palace
- Capri Tiberio Palace: elegant design combined with the intimate atmosphere...
- La Scalinatella
- La Scalinatella is a charming Italian boutique hotel where to enjoy world...
- Villa Paradiso
- Part luxury island home, part art museum: Villa Paradiso, Capri
Small Boutique Hotels
- Casa Morgano
- Casa Morgano is a gorgeous boutique property overlooking the sea and the...
- La Minerva
- La Minerva is an elegant 4 star hotel in the historic center of Capri.
3 Star Hotels
- Capri Wine Hotel
- Capri Wine Hotel: how to transform an old winery into a beautiful boutique...
- Small, welcoming and with a spectacular view of the town of Capri and the...
- La Prora
- Located in the old medieval center of Capri, a mere 100 meters away from...
- Villa Palomba
- Your home-away-from-home within steps of the Piazzetta: authentic island...