Capri Tour of the island
You haven't really seen Capri until you've seen it from the sea.
Tour of Capri by Sea
Departure point: Marina Grande
Duration: about 2 hours
Price: €17 a person on a group tour. From €150 to hire a private boat.
No visit to Capri is complete without at least a few hours spent on the surrounding Mediterranean, as taking to the turquoise waters is the only way to explore its dramatic coastline, dotted with tiny coves and breathtaking grottoes.
Each day, organized group tours leave from Marina Grande, offering a tour of the island by sea lasting an hour or two (the perfect solution for daytrippers), or you can hire a private boat, with or without a skipper. Almost all the organized group tours include a stop at the Blue Grotto for those interested in visiting.
Important information for visiting the Blue Grotto
- The ticket price to enter the Blue Grotto is not included in the ticket price for your boat tour. Tickets for the Blue Grotto can be purchased at the entry to the grotto and cost €13 a person.
- In high season, the wait to enter the Blue Grotto can be as long as an hour, with no shade or refreshment stand. We recommend a sun hat and plenty of water.
- The Blue Grotto can close due to rough seas or high winds. If you are very decided on visiting, we suggest you ask about conditions at the port before leaving on your tour.
Usually tours of the island go clockwise, so if you are on a group tour, the best side from which to view the coastline is the side which faces the right.
The stops along an island tour by sea
After navigating past Tiberius' Leap topped by Villa Jovis, your tour will follow the southern coast of the island, passing beneath Casa Come Me, the writer Curzio Malaparte's island home. Soon after, you will begin to see the Faraglioni rock formations and pass beneath the stone archway. Legend holds that couples who kiss while passing through will be lucky in love...so snuggle up to your sweetheart!
After passing Marina Piccola, you will skirt a stretch of coastline particularly thick with sea caves, including the Grotta dei Santi and the Grotta Verde, which got its name from the water's emerald hue. On the horizon, the imposing Punta Carena lighthouse, the second largest in Italy, stands watch.
After leaving the lighthouse behind, the tour begins its return along the northern coast of the island, the most remote and sparsely inhabited. If you look carefully, you may spot wild goats who live among the thick vegetation as you pass. The Blue Grotto is located along this stretch of coast, and your tour will pause here to give passengers a chance to visit, if they wish.
The final stop is the Baths of Tiberius, the ancient beach house of the Roman emporer.
Sites of interest
- Marina Piccola
- Marina Grande
- Historic center of Anacapri
- Villa Jovis
- Augustus Gardens - Via Krupp
- Charterhouse of St. Giacomo
- Tour of the island
- Grotta Azzurra
- Mount Solaro
- Villa San Michele
- Towers and Forts
- Punta Carena
- Villa Damecuta
- Beyond the Island of Capri
- La Canzone del Mare
- Capri's Canzone del Mare is a historic sea edge restaurant in the beautiful...
- La Fontelina
- Sensational sea-edge restaurant serving local and International cuisine.
- Lido del Faro
- Typical cuisine & seafood specialities under the Lighthouse
Excursions by sea
- Absolute Yacht Charters
- Unforgettable cruises around Capri and the Mediterranean, aboard your very...
- Amalfi & Positano Boat Tours
- Everyone agrees: by far the best way to see Italy's spectacular Amalfi...
- Bagni Tiberio Boats
- Bagni Tiberio Boats is a charter company with years of experience and the...
- Blue Sea Capri
- Sail around the Island of Capri and along legendary Amalfi Coast
- Capri Boats The Original
- Boat trips around the island
- Capri Marine Limousine
- Boat trips, excursions and water taxis from the island of Capri to Sorrentine...
- Capri On Board
- Capri On Board is a luxury travel agency specialized in customer service,...
- Capri Relax Boats
- The professional sailors
- Capri Sea Service
- Diving Club & boat rental
- Capri Time Boats
- Exclusive boat tours & private sea transfers
- Capri Whales di Wendy
- 13 boats and a family who love and live the sea
- Capri Yacht Charter
- Charter rental service
- Ciro Capri Boats
- Ciro Capri Boats is a charter company that offers boat rentals and tours...
- Gianni's Boat
- Fall in love with Capri, aboard one of Gianni's boats
- Laser Capri
- Boat tour around the island
- Capri Time Tours
- Private cultural tours, exclusive boat tours and sea transfers
Transport and Rental
- Capri Boat - Banana Sport
- Discover the sea of Capri
- Capri Boats Transfer The Original
- Fast and comfortable transfers
- Capri On Board
- Specialists in the Art of Travel, Luxury Travel Advisor
- Capri Relax Transfers
- Transfer service from the airport to your hotel
- Capri Sea Service
- Transfer, diving & boat rental
- Motoscafisti di Capri
- Discover the sea surrounding Capri