Explore the ancient town of Pompeii and the majestic Mount Vesuvius with an authorised guide...
Explore the historic center of Capri with a local guide to discover the beauty of the Piazzetta,...
- Early history - The Grotto of the Ferns and excavations at the Quisisana hotel and other localities testify to the presence of prehistoric inhabitants from the Neolithic period up to the Bronze Age.
- VIII Century B.C. - Colonisation by the Teleboi, an Acarnanian people, led by Teleno. The megalithic wall visible from the Funicular Terrace is attributed to these settlers.
- V-IV Century B.C. - The Greeks of Cumae also settle in Capri.
- 328 B.C. - Greek Capri passes under the domain of Rome after the "Fedus Neapolitanum".
- 269 B.C. - Coins recovered in the Guard district bearing this date testify to trade between the island and mainland.
- 9 B.C. - Augustus acquires Capri.
- 14/37 A.C. - Withdrawal of Tiberius to Capri.
- 128 A.C. - The Emperor Commodus banishes Lucilla and Crispina to the island.
- 450 A.C. - Construction of the Early Christian Basilica of St. Costanzo (Constant) by the Basilian monks.
- 523 A.C. - Patrizio Tertullo donates Capri to the Benedictines.
- 592 A.C. - Letter from Gregory Magno to Bishop John of Sorrento requesting him to go to Capri to bless the relics of St. Agatha, preserved by Abbot Savino at the Monastery of St. Stefano (Stephen).
- 80-681 A.C. - Arrival of St. Costanzo on the island.
- 750 A.C. - Capri, patrimony of St. Peter, is leased for 28 years by Gregory VII to Theor, Duke of Naples.
- 812 A.C. - Start of Saracen raids in the Mediterranean.
- 866 A.C. - Emperor Ludovick II donates Capri to the Maritime Republic of Amalfi.
- IX Century - Byzantine reconstruction of the Basilica of St. Costanzo.
- 987 - Appointment of the first Bishop by the Amalfi Archbishop.
- 991 - Failed landing by the Saracens under the command of Boalim.
- 998 - Construction of Anacapri Castle, later known as "Barbarossa" Castle.
- 1003 - Construction of Capri Castle.
- 1137 - Roger the Norman conquers Amalfi and Capri.
- 1230 - Eliso Arcucci, Admiral of the Swabian fleet is made Count of Capri.
- 1266 - Angevin occupation and construction of lookout towers.
- 1284 - Sergio De Nicola, Governor of Capri, repels the Aragonese.
- 1367 - Construction of the Convent and Church of St. Francesco (Francis) at Marina Grande under the direction of Count Arcucci.
- 1370 - Expansion of the Church of St. Costanzo with the construction of the presbytery, pronaos and new entrance on the north side.
- 1371 - Construction of the Charterhouse of St. Giacomo (James) under the direction of Giacomo Arcucci, Secretary to Jeanne I, Queen of Naples.
- 1441 - Alfonso I of Aragon conquers Capri.
Modern and contemporary period
- 1496 - Frederick II of Aragon founds the University of Anacapri, effectively separating it from Capri.
- 1535-1553 - Invasion led by Kair-ed-Din, otherwise known as Barbarossa, and Dragut.
- 1656 - Plague epidemic that kills 350 of the island's 755 inhabitants.
- 1775 - Ferdinand II of Bourbon elects Capri as his summer residence where he goes to hunt quail.
- 1786 - Archaeological excavations by Nobert Hadrawa.
- 1806 - Capri is occupied by the French and reconquered by the English who fortify the island.
- 1807 - The French troops of Joachim Murat reconquer Capri. Fortification of the island.
- 1818 - Suppression of the Bishop's seat at Capri.
- 1826 - Rediscovery of the Blue Grotto (Grotta Azzurra). Capri becomes the popular destination of writers and painters who stay at Hotel Pagano.
- 1874-1877 - Construction of road to Anacapri.
- 1905 - Excavations undertaken to expand Hotel Quisisana uncover prehistoric remains.
- 1910 - Construction of the Capri-Marina Grande funicular, and start of works in the port.
- 1932-1935 - Archaeological excavations by Amedeo Maiuri at Villa Jovis, Villa Damecuta and the Palace by the Sea (Palazzo a Mare).
- 1938 - First electric power station.
- 1950 - Growth of tourism in Capri.
Departure from: Sorrento
Duration 8 hours
Departure from: Naples
Duration 2 hours
Departure from: Sorrento
Duration 8 hours
Duration 4 hours
Departure from: Capri
Duration 3 hours