Where can I get a great meal without breaking the bank on Capri?
If you are planning a vacation or simply a quick daytrip to Capri, you've probably asked yourself this question. Well, we who live on Capri all year round, want to reveal where we go for excellent food at an affordable price. Here are some options for a inexpensive meal - under EUR 20 a person - including caffès, beach kiosks, and pizzerias...but no tourist traps with fixed menus!
- Da Antonio al Faro di Punta Carena: This is an old-school beach kiosk with a 1950s vibe directly beneath the lighthouse. Dive in the water, bask in the sun, then grab one of their outdoor tables for a plate of caponata or a saltimbocca. This is also a great place for an evening cocktail at sunset.
Price: around EUR 15-20 a person for a caponata and a drink.
- El Merendero: On Marina Piccola's public beach, this spot offers a few tables, loungers, and beach umbrellas where you can enjoy a filling sandwich, refreshing cocktail, and a granita made with fresh fruit (all against a background of bouncy salsa music) before heading back to the beach. What more could you ask for?
Price: EUR 15-EUR 20 a person for a sandwich and a drink
La Pescheria Le Botteghe: In the morning, this spot is a normal fishmonger, but from noon you can pull up a stool at the marble tables to sample fishburgers, pasta tossed with fresh fish or seafood, and mixed fried shrimp and calamari. This is a great alternative to the classic cocktail in the Piazzetta, and for a meal and glass of wine you'll spend between EUR 20 and 25. The fishmarket is on Via Le Botteghe.
- Aumm Aumm: This is one of the best pizzerias on the island, offering thick, flavorful slices with a variety of toppings. It is also one of Anacapri's busiest eateries, as it's open all winter and late into the evening. Its widescreen tv makes it a favorite venue for fans to watch Italy's most beloved sport, soccer! If you're looking for a place to rub elbows with the locals, this is the perfect choice. (Via Caprile 18, Anacapri. Open only for dinner; closed Mondays; reservations recommended for Saturday and when the Naples soccer team games are televised! Phone: 081 837 3926)
Price: EUR 15-EUR 20 for a pizza and a beer
We also like the pizza at Il Buco (in Anacapri, between Piazza Vittoria and Piazza della Pace) and Verginiello and Buca di Bacco (both located in the center of Capri).
- Verginiello: You can count on local cuisine from Capri to be excellent, but we especially like this spot because it's open year-round and the prices are fair. If you are looking for a complete, multi-course meal, you will probably spend more than ¤20, but it remains one of the best price/quality ratios on the island. They also make excellent pizza.
Price: from EUR 35 for a meal; EUR 20-EUR 25 for a pizza and a beer. (Via Lo Palazzo, 25/A, from Via Roma follow the stairs down from the Post Office. Open for lunch and dinner.)
- Capri Pasta (known by the locals as "Da Roberto"): from Via Le Botteghe take the cross street Via Parrocco Canale (right in front of our office!) and just a few steps up you'll find this rosticceria. They offer pre-made pasta and meat dishes, sandwiches, fried specialties (including ravioli fritti) ready for take-away. A great idea if you'd like to pack a picnic to bring to the beach
Price: about EUR 5 a portion
- Da Aldo: If you find yourself near Marina Grande, perhaps about to set sail for a day trip on the sea, stop by this deli (located in front of the Banchinella) for a panino caprese--the island's classic tomato and mozzarella sandwich.
Price: about EUR 5 a sandwich
- De Martino: Located in Anacapri near Via Caprile, this is the ideal spot to grab a sandwich to take to the beach at Il Faro or Gradola, or as a bag lunch for an excursion to top of Mount Solaro. This deli carries a wide selection of cold cuts, cheese, vegetables, and spreads. Ask Vincenzo for advice!
Price: about EUR 5 for a sandwich
In the historic center of Capri town, Hang Out "gourmet" pub has an ample meat menu, including juicy burgers and steaks, as well as craft beers. Pasta dishes are also served at lunch. Price: hamburger + beer around EUR 20